Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hamlet and Ophelia, sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N....wattt???

Alright so i think that Hamlet doesnt love Ophelia, well not anymore at least. I believe he did previously because of all those letters he wrote to her. But this whole scenario with his father dying and his mother remarrying quickly to his is no-good uncle really messed with his head. Add to the fact now that he is seeing ghosts, and we got a real messed up emo kid. Hamlet does generalize things and he generalizes women when he says ," frailty thy name is woman". Through this quote it shows that he thinks all women are weak and fail like his mother was. With this train of thought Hamlet kinda just really wants nothing to do with women now and he's focusing his energy on getting revenge. I do believe that he did love her earlier when in Act 1 scnene 3 Opehelia is speaking to Polonius and says "He hath, My lord, of late made many tenders of his affection to me." So obviously there was a little sumthing-sumthing between the two but not anymore. Now that he calls her a whore and makes fun of her dad like all the time it shows that i doesnt really care about her anymore. He is so stuck on getting revenge that he wants nothing to do with anything else in the world. I guess seeing ghosts can do that to someone...

No comments: